The European Pirate Party

Meeting of the PPEU board 15.05.2019, 20:30 CEST

Members of the Board (for use as template)
FYI: Members of the Board (for use as template)
C: Markéta Gregorová (PP-CZ)
VC: Salvör Kristjana Gissurardóttir (PP-IS)
VC: Mikulás Peksa (PP-CZ)
BM: Antigone (Gabrielle Nereuil PP-FR)
BM: Oktavía Hrund Jónsdóttir (PPIS)
BM: Antonios Motakis (PP-GR)
BM: Ernst Spitaler (PP-AT)
BM: Magnus Andersson (PP-SE)
TR: Peter Freitag (PP-LU)

1. MINUTES

Meeting opened at: 20:46
Meeting chaired by: Marketa
Secretary for this meeting:
Recording: PiratesOnAir
Link: https://owncloud.ag-technik.de/s/T2PbQYFRM9txZ8d

1.1. - Participants

C: Markéta Gregorová (PP-CZ)
VC: Mikulás Peksa (PP-CZ)
BM: Antigone (Gabrielle Nereuil PP-FR)
BM: Magnus Andersson (PP-SE)
BM: Ernst Spitaler (PP-AT)
BM: Antonios Motakis (PP-GR)
BM: Oktavía Hrund Jónsdóttir (PPIS) 21:48

1.2. - Excused

1.3. - Not excused

VC: Salvör Kristjana Gissurardóttir (PP-IS)
TR: Peter Freitag (PP-LU)

1.4. - Guests

Bastian
@PiratesOnAir
ThomasG (no mic)

1.5. - Pad:

2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/board_meeting_04
YES: Markéta, Magnus, Antigone, Tony
NO:
ABSTENTIONS:

https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/board_meeting_05
YES: Markéta, Magnus, Antigone, Tony
NO:
ABSTENTIONS:

3. AGENDA

1. Reports of the Board (Board, 20 minutes)

  • C: Markéta Gregorová (PP-CZ)
  • Managing the campaign : a lot of energy is going in the campaign
  • Try to update social media and keep the website actual - Helping with PPI interviews and their publishing
  • VC: Salvör Kristjana Gissurardóttir (PP-IS)
  • not present
  • VC: Mikulás Peksa (PP-CZ)
  • Not much on european scale because focused on the campaign
  • Preparation of the public procurement for the staff in Brussels (hiring assistant : it is wished to hire assistant not only from the Czech Republic)
  • BM: Antigone (Gabrielle Nereuil PP-FR)
  • PPFR managed to have a list for the election.
  • It is trying to get the ballots for people to vote for them in the EP -a lot of energy for the team in charge of the election
  • BM: Oktavía Hrund Jónsdóttir (PPIS)
  • not present at this point (joined later)
  • BM: Antonios Motakis (PP-GR)
  • talking to some Greek Pirates, have been busy with another project not at the PPEU level
  • BM: Ernst Spitaler (PP-AT)
  • read through the statutes regarding the membership fees and found some parts that need clarification, also summarized payment processes #savetheinternet movement is running into trouble
  • BM: Magnus Andersson (PP-SE)
  • I've been focusing on the campain in SE
  • created a system for board meetings! :D
  • TR: Peter Freitag (PP-LU)
  • not present
  • In this point a discussion started by Bastian emerged around what PPEU does for marketing the campaign.
  • PPI interviews
  • in Lux there was a meeting with sharing know how and all the tips and templates
  • a stamp on Facebook will be created
  • We can do some online waves, but no merch, naturally.

2. Tasks from previous meeting

  • 2.1. To go through the statutes and present a summary of information concerning concequenses for non-payments with a suggested deadline for paying the 2018 invoices (Magnus, Ernst, Markéta can help?) - hasn't been done yet, will be :)
  • Statutes concerning the non-payment of membership fees:
  • Article 7 (2) h) to pay their designated fee as Ordinary Members in a timely manner
  • Article 12: (3) Any member may also be suspended or excluded by the Council on at least one of the following grounds:
  • a) non-compliance with its obligations,
  • (5) The exclusion of a member is also decided by the Council. The exclusion comes into effect immediately after the decision of the Council but the excluded member remains bound by all outstanding debts contracted with the Association until the end of the financial year in which the exclusion came into effect.
  • financial conclusions.instead of year.
  • The until the end part should relate to “contracted”, but could also legally be argued to relate to “remains bound”. I suggest changing the wording as follows: end the sentence after “Association”. Insert the words “The term “Outstanding debts” used in the previous sentence comprises all debts contracted with the Association”. This somewhat extends the length of the text but does remove any ambiguities which might cause issues should the need ever arise to use the statutes to resolve a conflict about payment of the membership fees. I see the standing version as automatically forfeiting a debt after the end of any previous financial year, if and only if the Council does decide to exclude a member party.
  • (6) A proposal for suspension or expulsion of a member may be submitted by any Ordinary Member or the Board, but not more than once on the same grounds. All decisions on the suspension and exclusion of a member are taken by a three-quarter majority. The concerned members may not vote on such a decision. The names of the concerned parties, organisations or individuals on whose suspension or exclusion the Council will vote and the grounds on which the proposed suspension or expulsion is based shall be named in the agenda of the meeting and sent to all Council members with the invitation to the next Council meeting. If this was not done, the non-attending Council members shall be allowed to send their vote on the suspensions and exclusions after the Council meeting. The concerned member shall have the opportunity to plead its case during the Council meeting and hand out a statement which shall be published with the minutes of the Council meeting. The suspension or expulsion decision sets forth the grounds on which the suspension or expulsion is based but apart from that, the decision does not need to be justified, but it shall give reasons. A copy of the letter shall be sent to the expelled member by registered letter, within 15 calendar days.
  • (8) Resigning, deceased/dissolved/bankrupt or excluded members and their successors or rightful claimants shall have no entitlement to the assets of the Association.
  • (9) They may not claim restitution or reimbursement of subscriptions paid or payments made.
  • Article 13 – Membership Fees
  • (1) A fee is requested of the Ordinate Member parties. The amount of which is set annually by the Council on proposal of the Board represented by the Treasurer. The Treasurer will meet up with all the Ordinary Member Parties' Treasurers to discuss the obligations of the member parties in regard to the annual fee in advance of the first Council meeting of the year. The Ordinary Member Parties have to hand out to the Treasurer a copy of their last annual account in advance of the meeting. If no agreement can be reached, the member parties will pay the same fee as last year. Membership Fees are fixed in Euro; they are payable without deduction of incurred costs.
  • (2) The annual Membership Fees of the Association's Ordinary Members consist of a basic fee and an additional part based on decision of the Council.
  • (3) The membership fee will be multiplied by the number of additional and supplementary votes of each Ordinary Member.
  • (4) After the conditions listed in Art. 24 (Transitional Clause) are fulfilled, the Association will make a new decision about the details of determining the membership fees.
  • 24 to 28
  • (5) Observer Members do not have to pay a fee. All members may further contribute by giving donations to the Association.
  • (6) Member parties who do not meet their financial commitments will lose all voting and speaking rights within the organs and bodies of the association as well as their right to propose candidates for positions within the association, until they have paid off their arrears. A list outlining the current Membership Fees’ situation will be distributed at each Council meeting by the Treasurer.
  • (7) Members must pay their annual contribution between the first of January and the date of the annual Council meeting. On request of the concerned Ordinary Member party the Council may allow them under special circumstances with a 2/3-majority of the votes cast to delay their annual contribution for up to one year or relieve them of the payment or a part of it. The member party concerned may not vote on such a decision.
  • (8) If a Member Party did not pay their due membership fee for two consecutive years until the first Council meeting of the second year, they are deemed to have left the Association by resignation automatically.
  • Can they pay for one year so the resignation has one year more?
  • I believe there is no special provision for this, but the wordconsecutive is key
  • Summary of the statutes as required by the assignment::
  • I believe that we definitely need to discuss the membership fees at every council meeting. Art. 13/1 specifically says “if an agreement can not be reached”, which requires us to at least have a motion to keep them the same as last year if we do not see a requirement to change the amounts or the way they are calculated.
  • The transitional clause is Article 28, not 24. I suggest changing that - it is a technicality, but still important.
  • If we want to exclude a member for non-payment, we have a deadline to keep, otherwise the member party in question has resigned automatically as per Article 13, Paragraph 8.
  • The procedure is to discuss the payment status of each member who has not paid their fees in the months leading up to the Council Meeting, as stated in Article 13, Paragraph 7, at said Council Meeting. We can do this exactly once - the term “between the first of January and the date of the annual Council Meeting” would state that the date itself is too late for discussing it at the second annual Council Meeting. I recommend changing the wording to “between and including” to give the Council a second chance to discuss the payment or the waiving of the membership fees.
  • Also, our Treasurer should be in touch with all Treasurers of all member parties ASAP after Jan 1 to get the accounts of all the member parties and discuss the payment of membership fees which have been decided by the Council - the statutes expressly state that, and I interpret it so that an automatic payment should not be the norm. Also, it would discourage from paying automatically since I think our Treasurer has to reach out first. The sending of the invoice should therefore only come after reaching out - no matter if by email or phone call (optimally with a recording). If the Treasurer has not reached an agreement with a member party and that party has not paid the same amount as for the previous year up to the annual Council Meeting, proceed as in the previous paragraph.
  • Peter please check the doc.
  • Comment/questions OhJ: process of getting funding from the budget category “Starter Package”. Responsible person, approval process
  • Deviation from budget: will that be with a deviation of 5% or similar or 0% tolerance and all changes will be for the council to approve?
  • 2.3. More structured and participatory document concerning roles in the PPEU - will also involve the larger movement into this - more volunteers (Oktavía) - will be done in future, Macburns will Volunteer to work on this. (michael.john.sinclair@piratenpartei.de)
  • - e-mail was sent with proposal to meet
  • 2.4. PR and communication strategy (draft) (Ernst, Oktavía, Mikuláš, Markéta, Salvör) - next time
  • - e-mail was sent with proposal to meet
  • 2.5. Macburns: Pirate Times - it is possible to reopen the plattform; Josef Collentine would agree to give admin rights to a Board member of PPEU and a Board member of PPI. Press Tools Built on Slack, Homepage wordpress site, and diverse social media accounts in 4 languages. (Magnus will ask him for the admin rights. Including Mikulas as well.)
  • 2.6. Social media: EUpirates will be the main one on which we focus now. Nothing will be closed. EUpirates shall be renamed to EuropeanPirateParty.
  • Markéta: Can't be unfortunately renamed, because the name EuropeanPirateParty is too long. One letter too much. -_- :D Sorry. (Otherwise I started using only the EUpirates account as was agreed on.)
  • @PiratePartyEurope.? (@EuropeanPP?) (@EuropeanPirates? +1+1+1+1+1+1)(@EuPirateParty ?+1+1)
  • Second account: EuroPirates +1+1, PPEurope+1+1, PiratePartyEurope+1+1+1+1
  • Will be renamed to EuropeanPirates and the channel who has it now and has smaller number of followers will be renamed to (second account)
  • 2.7. To spread the date and time of board meetings on a much broader scale. E.g. Webpage, FB, Twitter and maybe more email-lists beside ppeu-council (from PPDE). (Markéta)
  • OhJ: I suggest also doing explicit FB events so people get SM reminders and the accessibility to Mumble does limit so I suggest sharing the recordings on SM. +1+1
3. Invoices 2019 (everyone, 20 minutes):
  • Markéta: We need to remind everyone who didn't pay for 2018 to do so and issue the invoices for 2019. @Peter, can you please check the 2018 payments, contact those who didn't pay and ask them, if they are able to do and when approximately? Thank you. :) +1
4. Any other business (AOB)
  • OhJ: Does a podcast in Iceland, 14K members in FB group. Made a podcast on EP elections in English and will share it sunday.

Suggestions for other podcasts greatly appreciated.

  • please put the link here? It was recorded today and will be edited and send out on Sunday - will put it here
5. Next Meeting

Next meeting: 5th June 2019, 21:00 CEST (=UTC+2) (OhJ: I will be 1 hour late again :( )
Next meeting after that: Will be set by Doodle. https://doodle.com/poll/bq8pxiyic4gdwmz9

Board meeting in July:
Meeting closed at 22:31 by Markéta.

  • Tasks for the next meeting:
  • 1. Create a Facebook stamp (Markéta, Mikuláš) (“I'm voting for the European Pirates”?) :* #VotePirate.
  • 2. Twitter accounts will be renamed to EuropeanPirates and the channel who has it now and has smaller number of followers will be renamed to PiratePartyEurope (Markéta)
  • 3. Start creating FB events for board meetings. (Markéta)
  • 4. More structured and participatory document concerning roles in the PPEU - will also involve the larger movement into this - more volunteers (Oktavía)
  • 5. PR and communication strategy (draft) (Ernst, Oktavía, Mikuláš, Markéta, Salvör)
  • 7. Peter checks the 2018 payments, contact those who didn't pay and ask them, if they are able to do and when approximately